Thursday, November 6, 2008

Lost Curls

I know it happens to all of us, but I've managed to avoid the "Look mommy I cut my own hair" experience for this long. I had my fingers crossed; maybe it would never happen! Could I be so lucky? Nope. Last night, while getting M ready for bed, she proudly told me, "I cut off my bad hair." What? What bad hair? "Right here." (points to the side of her head where I see that, indeed, she has cut a large chunk of her hair off). Baby, I say, where's your hair? She points to the floor behind the rocking chair. There, on the carpet, next to a pair of safety scissors, are several blond curls. I didn't know how to react but I wanted to make it clear that she is NEVER to cut her own hair again. So instead of getting mad I was sad; "Oh, M, you cut off your beautiful curls? Why did you do that? You can't be a princess without your beautiful curls! (manipulative, I know)It makes me so sad to see these curls in my hand. It makes me want to cry." Sure enough, her face was getting sadder and sadder until she burst into tears and promised to never cut her hair again. Poor girl, she was so proud of herself. I'll have to get her one of those dolly heads where you can style the hair. Although then she may go cutting off her brother's hair! At least I have a sweet, curly memento for her scrapbook!

0 comments: