Thursday, June 25, 2009

Little, Little Bird

This little hummingbird in Eric's hand is not (thankfully) dead. It is just stunned. I went out to the garage to take care of some recycling and heard this strange buzzing noise. Looking up I noticed these two things flying around and at first I thought they were bats since it was dusk. But bats flap more and looking closer I discovered they were actually hummingbirds. Eric was mowing the lawn so I waved him down and warned him to be quiet and come see this. We watched the two birds for a while and suddenly this one just dropped onto the cement. Of course we thought it was dead but nope, it's little heart was beating super fast and it was still breathing. See how it's holding its beak in its little claw? So cute. We went and got all the kids out of bed to come see the little hummingbird and in a few minutes it woke up, looked around (I ran for the camera again but...too late) and flew away. We see it once in a while, sipping nectar from our iris flowers. Now how many kids can say they have a pet hummingbird?

3 comments:

Theresa said...

such a cute little bird

Crusty said...

he's super cool!

Cassie said...

When I was little there was a huge herricane--must have been Andrew--anyway, a humming bird got caught out in the storm and my brother found it. We warmed it back to life by setting it on a hot water bottle in a bird cage for the night. Once the storm passed we let the bird go. Your kids will hold on to these animal memories forever.