Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Brotherly Love


Since I'm not actually a boy myself, I've often wondered about the relationship between brothers. They play, they fight, they playfight, they work together, they lock each other out of their rooms. Last weekend when we were running a 1.5 mile "fun" run I swear my boys were the only kids ever who could fight and run at the same time. W would careen into A who would get all mad and try to kick W (resulting in loss of shoe) and on and on it would go. I'm trying to push a stroller, run, and create peace between the boys all at the same time, not an easy task. I was ready to run for the hills, forget about the finish line! But then this morning I witnessed just the cutest, most heart-melting incident. I should preface it by saying that whenever A has a bad dream he crawls into W's bed. Most of the time they're best buddies. And A is "sooooooooo bored" while W is in school. So back to this morning. W and I were waiting for the bus when we hear, "Mommy, W, wait!" A is running across the lawn in his rainboots and raincoat. He wanted to wait for the bus with us. So we waited a minute or two and as the bus pulled up, A just threw his little 4-year-old arms around W, giving him the biggest hug and then saying, "Have a great day at school, W." It was just so sweet. It gives me hope that they may make it to adulthood without killing each other after all. Hopefully with few scars, too!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

sweet! They're tender souls...who've got a lot of grit. it was sure fun to see them and get to know them better. It makes the stories have so much more feel....bytheway how long do you think I should let G play with that plastic bag on the floor while I'm typing?