Friday, April 17, 2009

Our Easter Tradition

I'm not a big fan of the Easter Bunny stuff. I think it's too confusing to kids when you try to mix a religious holiday with Wal-mart. Fortunately we live so far away from stores like Wal-mart that my kids haven't really seen the huge extravagant Easter baskets out there. We start our day with a breakfast of "Eggs in a Nest", which is whipped egg whites baked with the yolk in the middle.
They also got these really cute sugar cookies made by a lady here in Vermont. A had a hard time eating his baby chick's eye which reminded me that I always hated to eat the eye from my own chocolate Easter bunnies. He really wanted to keep the cookie as a pet, but soon learned that some pets are just too delicious to save.
This our annual tradition. I make baskets out of chocolate and then fill it with "Nature's Candy": strawberries, blackblerries, raspberries and blueberries. And a few chocolate eggs for fun. The kids love their chocolate baskets and fruit and I think it keeps them from bouncing off the walls too much...yeah, you're right, probably just wishful thinking on my part.

8 comments:

Theresa said...

Those look really awesome. I see the Martha in you

Pam said...

I found your blog from my friend Shay Morris. I love your creative ideas for Easter. I am going to do the Easter basket thing next year. Brilliant!

Shay said...

i LOVE the chocolate bowls! you'll have to post how to do them! what a genius idea. chocolate and fruit my favorite!

DC said...

Baically I cover the outside bottom of a small bowl in aluminum foil and set it on a cookie sheet. I melt chocolate chips in the microwave and put the melted chocolate into a plastic ziploc sandwich bag. Snip off the corner of the bag (this year I did a larger hole and I really liked the result of larger, rope-like loops. You can make it smaller and it will look more lacy). Just squeeze the chocolate all around the bowl, making sure to really cover the bottom well. Then stick them somewhere cold overnight to chill. After that, take the bowl out then carefully crumple the foil and there will be your chocolate bowl!

Jill P. said...

I also love your chocolate bowls with Nature's "candy" in them. I'll have to try to remember that for next year. I wish we had less emphasis on the Easter Bunny and I tried to do away with the easter egg hunt on Sunday morning with no luck.

Natalie said...

You have wonderful traditions for Easter, you are so creative! I also enjoyed the post about the new discipline system at W's school. It's fun to catch up!

Sharon said...

Hey There I found your blog from Shay's as well. I love your easter baskets, you have some great traditions. And i loved your story of the pee in the bottle. I about died. Your family is so cute, it's fun to see them 4 years later.

Crusty said...

Good thing you still have chocolate...Easter Bunny or not!