Monday, September 20, 2010

The Kindness of Musicians

Wells's violin teacher is out of town. So, this Wednesday, I decided to take him to the New Mexico Orchestra Chamber Music concert, held at the violin shop. A small venue. So I called on Wed. afternoon to make sure there were still tickets available. "Oh yes, we will have tickets at the door," the woman assured me. "The box office opens at 6 and the concert starts at 7:30." That is all she said. So, I forced Wells into some decent clothes and we arrived at the concert a little after 7. Only to be told, by the same woman I spoke to on the phone, that the concert is sold out. I was a little upset and protested and recounted our earlier phone conversation. Where she tried to convince me that she told everyone to buy tickets in advance due to the size of the venue. She did not tell me that. During the conversation a few people started surrounding the table. I didn't realize it right away, but they were the musicians. They began trying to help. One woman suggested that the piece they're performing is very popular and I should leave my name and number and they will call me if they do it again. Another man offered to have us sit just outside the door to hear the music. I replied that, although a very kind offer, my son was taking violin lessons and I wanted him to see the musicians, their posture, how they hold their instruments, etc. He nodded. Then, a very nice man with an accent came over. He shook our hands. He said, "Please, leave your name and number. Come to our next concert for half price. And please, come backstage and talk with us afterwards." Then he said, "I am the conductor of the orchestra." I didn't know if I should feel honored or embarrassed. I think it was a little of both. He guided us over to the table, insisting to the nasty woman that she write my name down. Then, with another plea to enjoy our evening and many apologies, he went in to begin the concert. Late. Because of us. The frowny woman did take my name but NOT my phone number and I didn't want to press the issue. But Wells is so excited to meet the musicians at the December concert that he's been practicing a song to play for them. So, I guess it turned out to be a great concert after all!

1 comments:

crust said...

what luck after all!