Friday, December 19, 2008

Are we Real Vermonters Now?

I was just reading a post on my friend Julie's blog about her trip to France including Paris. First of all, let me say I'm not jealous at all. Don't we all speak four languages and jet off to Europe? Anyway, she posted some beautiful pictures of the "City of Lights" and it reminded me of how last week we were in the "Country in Darkness." That's right, thanks to an ice storm our electricity was knocked out for 24 hours. That means no heat, no light, and, worst of all, no running water. We're pretty well prepared for the lack of heat with our little gas fireplace and we have lots of flashlights and lanterns and a camping stove to cook some hot food but not being able to flush the toilets is a true hardship. The kids loved it, though. No school and nothing to distract mommy since I couldn't wash or vacuum anything. We made some crafts, went sledding, read stories, etc. Around 2:30 I gave up trying to survive on my own and knocked on our neighbor's door. You see, they are true Vermonters: they have a generator. Now I usually pride myself on controlling how much time my kids spend in front of the TV and there are many days where they don't watch it at all. But I was ready to worship at the alter of TV that day, just for the relief of having something else entertain them. Of course then I immediately felt guilty. Eric called to say he was bringing home pizza. Yippee! Somehow the missionaries sniffed out the pizza hut and arrived right on time. As it turned out, not only did Eric bring home pizza but he also managed to get the last generator in two states. And, since Elder Merrill just happened to be an electrician they got to work hooking up our new generator. Just as they were about to start it.....the power came back on. I'll admit, I was kind of relieved since I don't always trust Eric's schemes and was slightly worried that he'd either blow up the generator, himself or the house. But I've been assured by three other highly competent Vermonters that his plan was indeed sound and will work just fine. So next time the electricity is out toilets will be flushed, houses will be warmed, lights will be on, and you will find us in the basement with the heat cranked watching WallE on the big screen with surround sound just as all true Vermonters do.

1 comments:

Julie Allen said...

Sorry for flaunting my Paris trip--it was an unusually exotic moment in an otherwise mundane life. I loved your description of the day without power, though. I'd been thinking about you guys during all of the storms in the Northeast. I'm relieved to know that you won't have to be deprived of any of your creature comforts next time there's a storm!