Monday, October 20, 2008

8 Years Ago Today...


On October 20th, 2000 my life changed forever. On that day, a Friday morning, a sweet little boy was born. Daddy was in California so it was just me and little W, all by ourselves. I remember snuggling him as we looked out the window at the sunset over Boston. It was a quiet, peaceful time. Probably the last quiet, peaceful time we've ever had together. Joking! (not really).

  • 7 years ago today we had a Harry Potter themed birthday party. I remember that Julie and Janika and Leona were there. I think Marjie was there as well. We made wizard hats and ate Bertie Bott's every flavored beans.
  • 6 years ago today we had a second birthday party. W got a new wagon and we took a walk around Belmont, playing in the leaves that had fallen all over the ground.
  • 5 years ago today I was 81/2 months pregnant with A. We were taking W to Chuck E. Cheese for his birthday party when I accidentally locked him in the car. I had to call the Fire Department and they came screeching down the street with two trucks, full-on sirens blasting. Then one guy jumps off the truck with an ax over his shoulder and I thought, "I could have broken the window myself!" But they jimmied the lock and got it open for me. The funniest part was that W fell asleep in his car seat and missed the entire thing! I did take pictures of the firetrucks for him. We finally made it to Chuck E. Cheese where he played with his friend Brielle.
  • 4 years ago today we had a spider-themed party. The cupcakes had chocolate frosting with black licorice spider legs and we sat on a round white tablecloth on the floor decorated to look like a spider web.
  • 3 years ago today we had recently moved to Vermont and had another addition to the family, little M. E had a business trip to Vancouver so we stopped off in Edmonton and left W and A with Grandma and Grandpa for a few days. When we returned from Vancouver we had a Thomas the Tank Engine birthday party with a really great cake with a real engine on top. Cousins and Canada friends were there.
  • 2 years ago today the party was Krypto the Superdog. We had lots of Super Fun! Everyone got to try their superhero strength and speed.
  • 1 year ago today it was pouring rain. Our party was all about science. We made Super Putty and different kinds of slime. And homemade root beer using dry ice. That was a lot of fun.
Which brings me back to today. I can't believe my little boy is 8 years old and in Grade 2. He's getting so big and mature, already not wanting hugs and cuddles but computer time and Legos. I hope you know how much we love you, little boy. Happy Birthday.

2 comments:

Julie Allen said...

Happy Birthday, Wells! I remember very clearly the day he was born, especially Will calling us from the hospital in a bit of a panic. I also remember getting the credit (blame?) for helping you go into labor (all three times, in some way or another), right? Clark had a science party this year for his 7th birthday too. He's tracked Wells' interests pretty closely, it seems to me. Legos, Lego Star Wars, Webkins, and poptropica.com are some of Clark's favorite things, when he's not reading.

SuzanneF said...

I'm just catching up on your blog. Can't believe W is 8!!! Wow. Joel turns 6 in a couple of weeks and his birth seems eons ago. I love the rose post. Made me cry!