Thursday, October 9, 2008

Bugged!


That's it! Everywhere I look today I see bugs! bugs! bugs! It started with a beesting on the inside of my elbow. Finally it stopped raining and thinking to enjoy the lovely sunny day, I was sitting outside on my swing. Unfortunately I was wearing a pink shirt and the bee mistook me for a rose from the Rugosa rosebush nearby and landed on my arm. And gave me a nasty shock. Hours later, it still hurts and now I feel hypersensitive to all the bugs around me. It's like being in one of those cartoons where you can hear the caterpillar crunching and the fly buzzing really loudly everywhere. I go in the kitchen and there's a giant spider crawling across the floor (ok, maybe giant is a relative term); flies are buzzing at the screen; fruit flies have invaded the trash can; moths are waiting in the pantry; there's a fuzzy orange moth sleeping on the front door inside the house. And when I turn on the ceiling lights I can see the cobwebs and spiderwebs all over. They're everywhere! Invasion! I'm kind of hoping for snow to kill them all off.
P.S. W wants me to add, "Mommy, don't forget about all the little spiders in the corners of our rooms." Seriously, it's that bad.

2 comments:

Theresa said...

It is the invasion of the bugs. I remember that from last year with all the little tiny spiders everywhere but nothing could be as bad as the Malden basement. I an sitting her feeling the creepy crawlers. ahh the memories

Julie Allen said...

People always expect Hawaii to be full of bugs (and, to be fair, it does have more than its fair share of cockroaches and silverfish) but I think the Midwest is much buggier. When we first moved here, I was stunned by the profusion of ants, spiders, ladybugs, beetles, etc. etc. that consider our house and yard their domain. We got the ants under control, but the spiders and ladybugs are keeping up the fight. I remember Tammy Jones telling a story about being in Chicago one summer during Chris's internship and putting the baby down for a nap in their basement apartment, only to discover that the floor was crawling with centipedes as soon as she puts the lights out. She snatched up the baby and ran outside to wait for Chris to get home (six hours later)!